- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped shallots or green onions
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced
- 8 to 10 small mushrooms, sliced
- 1 pound Swiss chard, trimmed of stems, washed thoroughly and chopped into 1-inch pieces
- 6 ounces uncooked fettuccine
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon cracked black pepper
In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the shallots, garlic and mushrooms. Saute the vegetables until tender, about 5 minutes. Add the Swiss chard, reduce heat and cover for about 3 minutes. Using tongs, turn the chard over so that uncooked leaves are on the bottom and wilted leaves are on top. Cover and cook until completely wilted, about another 3 minutes.
Fill a large pot 3/4 full with water and bring to boil. Add the pasta and cook until al dente (tender), 10 to 12 minutes, or according to the package directions. Drain thoroughly, reserving 1/4 cup of the pasta water. Return the drained pasta to the pot. Add the Swiss chard mixture and the reserved pasta water. Toss to mix evenly.
Divide the pasta onto warmed plates. Top each serving with 1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese and cracked black pepper. Serve immediately.